Friday, December 01, 2006

When War Meets Video Games - Journal 3


1) I think that war games are so popular because first of all, people like to be part of fighting and part of real-time action like being on the battlefield themselves and being able to change the outcome of a war. War video games were made to look realistic and be realistic so the player feels as much like they were part of the game. I don’t exactly like real-time war games myself, but I see that people who do like to play them get very addicted and probably care most for the realism as opposed to the storyline and game play. Sometimes when studying history, I wish that I could have done something in battle to make the outcome different or even make my own plan which would have worked. In these war games, the outcome and plans may be made for you but it gives a feeling that you are part of the war and can see what kind of things happen

I think war games are also popular now because people like the suspense and action in these games. In war games such as call of duty, there is always suspense in turning around every corner, building or just plain open area. There is usually a lot of stealth involved and makes you feel like your own life may be at hand!

2) I don't think realistic war games can be anywhere close to the feeling of being in a real war so I think it is just fun. No matter how good the graphics of the game even in the future, in if it were virtual reality, it would never give the same feeling and horror of being in a war. I think this because only half of the horror in war is caused by fighting, shooting and getting bombed, but the rest of the fear is of course dying, loosing all your close friends/family, and the fear when looking at the dead bodies of soldiers you may have known. Lots of fear involves in spiritual and psychological feelings. Sitting on a chair in front of a television or computer definitely doesn't give me that feeling! Making these connections with a video game desensitizing people to the thought of war is simply like making a connection between going to a play compared to watching a movie or a filmed recording of the play.

3) Personally, I don’t exactly enjoy war games because I find that they are unrealistic and all of them are the same except placed in a different setting with a slightly different storyline. Also, I usually end up getting stuck somewhere in the game because of trying many times and not being able to figure out what to do. Then I may result to cheating or not playing the game for a very long time! As you can see, I don’t exactly play adventure games and games with story lines because I’m not too patient. I enjoy games that only take around 30 minutes and can satisfy my needs for entertainment and a break! I think the graphics and fps is very good and would be fun for many people and many people have the patience to play these games but I don’t find it fun to be playing a game that is takes long and is unrealistic.

2 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Blogger Craz.E Freak said...

Very informative, would be what I'd like to say, but sadly I've read so many blogs about this topic I've been informed one time too many. Great job, though! Good points in there.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Kenneth Leung said...

I'll disagree on your point on war games requiring patience. Most war games makes it easy for you to figure out where you should go. Games like Call of Duty usually put in as much action as possible. Actually, most people play FPS games because it doesn't requires patience and it's all out brainless action point-and-shoot fun.
Other than that, your post is great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home